January's Focus- Mists- Summary (and a layout)

As I wrote, I've decided in 2014 to focus every month on a product I have plenty of, with the intention of getting more out of my supplies, and exploring new ways and techniques to use them. I'm happy to report, that I have indeed used my mists quite often this month, definitely more than usual. I also found that I used them more even on layouts that weren't meant to be a part of the series on the blog.
However, there was also a negative outcome. I have discovered that I indeed do love mists, and playing with mists, and need more. OK, want more. So I might have ordered some... I did decide to try out a new brand for me, and as soon as I get my hands on them, I'll be sure to share my opinion and, as always, layouts I make using them.

So the last page for January's focus definitely has mists starring in it.
Here's the finished layout-


The mists I used here are Heidi Swapp's Color Shine mists. These are shimmery mists, that come in a variety of (beautiful) colors. I like their size (2 oz.-that's double the volume of Mr. Huey's), and how they look. I'm not sure it shows that well in the photos, but the effect you get is very shimmery. They have to be shaken before use, to get the shimmer evenly distributed.
I have a few colors, and I find I reach for them quite often. They look great sprayed and also when splattered. The one color that is not as I expected is the white. I thought it would be a shimmery opaque white, but it is just shimmery. The white is barely visible. I will show here though a fun way to use it.
I created the background with two mists, Coral and Peach (Coral is the lighter one. Very simple to do, I took white cardstock, covered half of it, and sprayed one color, making sure to spray from the middle out, in order to get that ombre effect. Let it dry. Cover the misted half, and mist the second half with the other color. Already here there are so many options, cover the paper diagonally, use more colors, make a stripy pattern and so on. After everything was dry I used my new favorite stencil, also by Heidi Swapp, the 12*12 Tiny heart stencil, and sprayed the whole page with the white Color Shine spray. Here's the result you get, a very subtle look-


I think you can also see how pretty and shimmery those sprays are.
The paper I used as a frame for the layout is from the Dear Lizzy collection Polka Dot Party. The rest of the papers are some scraps and a couple of 6*6 papers from Heidi Swapp's Mixed Company collection.


As I wrote, I used sprays here all over:
  • I used a small paint brush to create a shimmery border around all the patterned papers.
  • This  color magic ephemera pack from Heidi Swapp is great to use with mists. You get 90 (!) pieces, like that cute camera in the picture above. The great thing about them, is that you can customize them to your color scheme. Heidi Swapp has more products like this you can customize, (look for "color magic" in the product name) like 12*12 papers, letter stickers, chipboard shapes etc.
  • Wood veneer embellishments also take mists in a lovely way. Here I used some hearts by Freckled Fawn.


Here are the other pages I created with mists this month-

 



So, what's in store for February's Focus? To be quite honest, even though it is already the 1st of February, I haven't decided yet... I'm torn between stamps, my die cutting machine (Cameo) and ink pads... Whatever doesn't make it this month will be there for next month, but I'm still not sure with which I want to play:) Decisions decisions...
I will be sharing more layouts made from Scraptastic January kit, Tongue Tied, this week, starting on Monday, while I think about my product focus for this month.
Thanks for visiting and have a lovely weekend!



Comments

  1. Fabulous pages! Love all the techniques shown here. I'm going back to read your other January posts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. I have only just recently purchased some spray - Mr Huey's, Heidi Swap & Tattered Angels - one of each. I have to say that I was disappointed in my Mr Huey's - it was tiny and the colour not as vibrant as the others. But of course, I got different colours in each, so hard to say. Loving them though, I can't wait to try out brushing around the edge of paper, that's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts